|Clams and Prawns In Coconut Milk, served with Turmeric Rice topped with butter, along with lemon Coke and lemon Sprite.|
• Green chili peppers, thinly sliced diagonally
• Onions, finely chopped
• Ginger, finely chopped
• Garlic, finely chopped
• Fresh coconut milk
• Vegetable oil
Tools you’ll need
• In medium heat, put a moderate amount of vegetable oil in a pot
• Sauté ginger, garlic, onions, altogether. Once the aromas has been released, put the green chili peppers, you’ll it’s done when chilies are a bit soft and aromatic.
• Put the coconut milk and bring it to a boil, add salt and pepper to taste. Stir slowly
• Put in the prawns, you’ll know they’re done when they turn bright orange
• Put in the clams, once they open, turn off the heat and put in the malunggay leaves. Cover the pot.
NOTE: This recipe puts together the sweetness and creaminess of the coconut milk and the flavors of the sea. The ginger balances the seafood flavors and the green chilies give it a little kick of heat. Do remember that both shrimps and clams cook very fast, if you over-cook those two, you’ll end up with tough shrimps and rubbery clam meat. That’s why when the shrimps turn orange, put the clams right away; this dish calls for your utmost attention. Make sure that those two main ingredients are just cooked enough. The malunggay is added to add a bit of texture as well as color. Do not overdo the spices as they are put to maintain balance of flavors, their taste has to be subtle enough as not to cover the flavors of the clams and prawns in this dish… That is how you make the flavors pop.